46352 State Hwy 329
Morris, MN 56267
Ph.D., Plant Biological Sciences, University of Minnesota
B.S., Plant Biological Sciences, University of Minnesota
B.S., Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Minnesota
Dr. Tallaksen’s research efforts focus on using the most up-to-date science with new technologies or in new applications to solve energy and environmental challenges facing rural communities. Employed at the West Central Research and Outreach Center, Joel has taken active roles in research on renewable energy production, biomass supply chains, and life cycle assessment of energy and farming systems. The ultimate goal of his research is to strengthen rural communities by promoting employment opportunities, community development, and environmental sustainability. He works with a wide variety of audiences (students, policy makers, the business community, scientists, and citizens) to provide the best available data about new opportunities for sustainable energy systems that fit in the rural landscape. A summary of current and past projects from the WCROC renewable energy team is on our project page.
Recent Writings, Presentations, and Outreach Information
- Tallaksen J. and Simo-Kush T. (2014) A Case Study in Planning a Renewable Energy Supply Chain: Part II Using Life Cycle Environmental Metrics to Select A Biomass Feedstock. 2014 American Society for Engineering Management Annual Conference, Virginia Beach, VA
- Tallaksen J. and Simo-Kush T. (In Press) A Case Study in Planning a Renewable Energy Supply Chain: Part II Using Life Cycle Environmental Metrics to Select A Biomass Feedstock. (abstract only, appears in Proceedings ASEM annual Conference 2014)
- Tallaksen, J., Bauer, F., Hulteberg, C., Reese, M., and Ahlgren, S., (In Preparation) GHG and energy balance of community-scale wind powered ammonia production.
- Tallaksen, J., Bauer, F., Hulteberg, C., Reese, M., and Ahlgren, S., (2014) Life-Cycle Greenhouse Gas and Energy Balance of Community-Scale Wind Powered Ammonia Production. 2014 NH3 Fuels Conference Sept 2014, Des Moines, IA
- Tallaksen, J (2014) What is Life Cycle Assessment and How Does It Impact Farmers?, Sun Tribune Article in Farm edition (March 2014)
- Dalzell, B.J., J.M.F. Johnson, J. Tallaksen, D.L. Allan and N.W. Barbour, 2013. Simulated impacts of crop residue removal and tillage on soil organic matter maintenance(abstract). Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J 77:1349-1356.
- Tallaksen J. and Reese M. 2013. Ammonia Production Using Wind Energy : An Early Calculation of Life Cycle Carbon Emissions and Fossil Energy Consumption. 2013 NH3 Fuel Conference. September 23-25th 2013, Sacramento, CA.
- Tallaksen, J. 2013 Producer Interest in Supplying Corn Stover Biomass (Presentation). AURI-Minnesota Renewable Energy Roundtable. April 30th Waseca, MN
- Tallaksen, J. 2013. Implications of Corn Producer participation in Stover Biomass Markets and Availability, Final Report to the Agricultural Utilization Research Institute and Minnesota Corn Research & Promotion Council.
- Tallaksen J., 2012, Corn Cobs for Ethanol Process Energy: An Energy Balance Perspective , 2012 International Fuel Ethanol Workshop, Minneapolis, MN
- Tallaksen J. and M. Reese. 2011. Quantifying Factors Influencing Agricultural Biomass Supplies (Poster). E3 Conference, Minneapolis, MN, November 2011